Friday, July 9, 2010

Tales from the Gym

Okay so, I realize I have gotten a bit boring to read and I need to include some of the more interesting things that happen on this journey of mine. Well, rest assured what follows is awesome.

I was at the gym on Tuesday and saw something absolutely amazing. There I was, working on my cable curls (55lbs, thank you very much!) when I saw this guy straight out of 1985. He was wearing a neon green tank top, one of those old school ones that go down really low on the sides and are baggy; purple shiny shorts that were probably too short for today's standards; purpl e socks and purple and white Reeboks. He was also a dark orange hue and had an epic mullet. It was shaved on the sides and long on the top and the back. While normally the mullet would have been the crowning glory, the fact that he wore aviator sunglasses inside the entire time trumped the hairstyle this time.

So Mr. Footlose is on my left side while I'm lifting and he brings over two 25lb. dumbbells and procedes to do standing rows, grunting like an animal the entire time. Let me point out here that I do my rows with 25lbs. with relatively no issues. This guy is acting like he is lifting a car. I suppressed my laughed and continued with my lifting, trying to mind my own business. He then THROWS down the dumbbells and runs to an exercise ball he has stashed nearby and starts laying on it. Not doing crunches or anything productive, just kind of laying there. Once he is done doing whatever the hell that was, he sprints around the machine I am on and goes to my left side, doing weird little hops the whole time. The he jumped up and down a few times with jazz hands and ran back around me to the dumbbells. He repeated this about 5 times. I was trying my hardest not to laugh while I did my curls and tricep pulldowns. I'm pretty sure I almost hurt myself a few times because I was shaking and biting myself trying not to crack up.

Things like this are what make my gym experience so amazing. I think I need to start doing a weekly segment on strange things I see while working out, because there are a LOT of weirdos at the gym. There's also a guy that resembles the pro-wrestler I spent all of high school in love with and I have managed to embarrass myself in front of him a few times. That's a story for another day though. :)

Weight: 181
Mood: tired...is that a mood?

2 comments:

  1. i totally met the dude at my gym that i've deemed "stone cold" because he looks like stone cold steve austin! haha oh i love giving nicknames to crazy gym people!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I totally do that. It's not like I have anything better to do while I'm doing cardio! I think I'm going to make this a weekly segment and write about the cougar with nails painted to match her pants; hairspray lady; the old man and the neverending side bends and the robot.

    ReplyDelete